Saturday, June 18, 2011

Fantastic Voyage

Lydia and I visited the Pilot family last weekend, just in time for her 6 month birthday.  She got some awesome outfits, and loads of love and affection.  Considering her struggles with stranger anxiety, she didn't do too bad (this was the first time she was meeting most of the family).  My cousin Sarah's kids were so sweet with Lydia - little Miles was all about supplying her with endless toys, and Lily was motherly and doting.  They definitely helped make the weekend go smoother.
Driving was another story entirely, and poor Lydia protested the 3 hour trek vehemently.  When we stopped at a Wendy's on the way home, I wanted to abort mission almost immediately.  Lydia was hot and crabby ( I had her stripped down to her diaper in public, SO white trash), and she was squawking incessantly.  The dirty looks from the Wendy's patrons threw me back to my pre-baby days...I was that parent with her grumpy kid, just pissing everyone off.  Not to worry, she calmed quickly with the accidental discovery of mom's strawberry shake.
God bless Sarah (not just her kids) for helping so much with Lydia.  There are a lot of things that rock about being a single mom, but traveling alone with your baby is certainly not one of them.  She saved my sanity on more than one occasion throughout the 3 day weekend.  It taught me a valuable lesson that I hope and pray I will not forget when the memory of this hectic weekend is not so fresh in my mind...
I am never traveling with Lydia again.

1 comment: